What about the viral safety of chitosan? Here, we would like to present an interesting publication about the viral safety of chitosan. Chitosan can be applied as a virus-free biopolymer for medical products in human, as the deacetylation process of chitin is sufficient for virus inactivation, shown by Park et al (2015). The researchers from Korea used chitin from Heppe Medical Chitosan to show that viruses are efficiently inactivated during the deacetylation process from chitin to chitosan.
Scientific news - Chitin and Chitosan
Have fun browsing on our pages!
Regenerative medicine is looking for structures to support the self-healing capacities of the human body. The implant scaffolds need to induce cell proliferation and promote reformation of the tissue. To create high-performance implants, adjustable degradation rates of the biomaterials, interconnected pores and functional surfaces are important. Due to their unique characteristics, chitosans are perfectly suitable to fulfill those requirements of regenerative medizin, due to their unique characteristics. In the following, we want to present you two highly interesting studies from research in this field.
Functional coatings are applied to improve resistance of implants like artificial heart valves or coronary stents against various impacts in the human body. One problem is the formation of biofilms on the implant surface, which limits communication of the implant with the surrounding area and might induce inflammatory reactions. In addition, nature of the implant material can promote the formation of blood clots, which leads to blocked arteries.
In April 2017, 252 articles about chitosan and chitosan derivatives were published. The International Journal of Biological Macromolecules published the highest number of chitosan-related articles (23), followed by Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces (7) and Carbohydrate Polymers (6). Researchers from China (48 articles) are as usually on the top of the list of leading countries in chitosan research. Germany can also be found among the top 10, with 5 publications in April 2017.
More Articles ...
- Publications in March 2017 - antimicrobial activity of chitosan
- Publications in February 2017 - Chitosan based implants
- Publications in January 2017 - layer-by-layer coating with chitosan
- The world of chitosan in 2016 & chitosan as adjuvant in vaccines
- Publications in November 2016 - Chitosan for tissue regeneration
- Publications in October 2016 - Chitosan Hydrogels
- Publications in September 2016 - Chitosan meets Meatballs and Shrimps
- Publications in July & August 2016 - drug delivery systems
- Publications in May & June 2016 - Chitosan Oligosaccharides
- Publications in April 2016 - Tissue Engineering
- Chitosan for removable dentures
- Publications in March 2016 - neuron growth with chitin scaffolds
- Publications in Febuary 2016
- Publications in January 2016
- Publications in 2015 - a summary